Thursday, August 26, 2010

THE END - A Photographic Review - Part 16: John arrives at the church and finds Ben cooling his heels outside; John finally frees himself from his disability, from blame, from fear, John forgives Ben who still has some issues to work on And we get one last stellar performance from Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson

John Locke is miracolously recovered from surgery and intuitively heads straight to the Church.
Still using the wheelchair though.
But he looks very happy in those wheels. John looks like he's got somewhere to go and he's so close.

But who's this cooling his heels outside the church...it's Ben Linus, John's olde nehmesis.
Ben is lost in contemplation.
But John greets him as he passes.


John expresses happiness at seeing Ben...
...and inquires if everyone is gathered yet.
Ben believes almost everyone is inside.


As John starts to leave, Ben appologiezes: I'm very sorry for what I did to you John. I was selfish, jealous. I wanted everything you had.



LOCKE: What did I have?
(What John had is mirrored in the methaphore of his face and the yin and yang symbol. Two halfs of light and darkness with a portion of light within the darkness and a portion of darkness within the light. This shot also evokes the dream scene in "Raised by Another" where John is seen to have one black eye and one white eye and is drawing tarot cards when he confronts Claire about giving up her baby. John was a hero whose life was a crucible where the archtypical conflicts and quests that each of us face were played out on the stage that was his life and death.)
BEN: You were special, John... and I wasn't.






LOCKE: Well if it helps, Ben, I forgive you.
BEN: Thank you, John...that does help. It matters more than I can say.
LOCKE: What are you gonna do now?
BEN: I have some things I still need to work out. I think I'll stay here a while.
BEN: You know, I don't think you need to be in that chair anymore.














LOCKE: Goodbye, Ben.







And Ben is left behind to ponder his crimes and fashion a path to his own reemption.
Just a couple posts left,
take it easy
it ain't all half-bad
mr badd

No comments:

Post a Comment